<< Go Back
Sefer HaYashar by Rabbeinu Tam, first edition. Vienna 1810. Copy of Rabbi Yisrael of Shklov.
By Rabbeinu Tam, one of the Tosafot. Printed by Georg Hrashansky. On the cover page is written “belongs to Rav Yisrael of Tzfat…” | Rabbi Yisrael of Shklov (1770-1839) was a Talmudist, one of a group of Talmudical scholars of Shklov who were attracted to Vilna by Elijah Gaon (1720–97). He was one of "the last arrivals," and attended upon the Gaon as a disciple for less than a year.He gained Elijah's confidence, and was chosen to arrange for publication the Gaon's commentary to the first two parts of the Shulchan Aruch. Later he emigrated to Ottoman Palestine and became the head of the German and Polish congregations of Safed and then of Jerusalem. He was there surnamed "Ashkenazi" (the "German"). After a residence of several years in the Holy Land, he went to Europe as a ShaDaR, and in that capacity he traveled through Lithuania and other parts of Russia.On his return to Palestine he wrote his chief work, Pe'at ha-Shulchan, which is intended as a sort of supplement to the Shulchan Aruch, supplying all the agricultural laws obligatory only in the Holy Land, omitted by rabbi Joseph Caro in his code. He also incorporated in this book the notes of Elijah of Vilna (the Gaon) to the tractate Zera'im, the first order of the Mishnah, and gave in addition a voluminous commentary of his own which he called Beit Yisrael. The work was published in Safed in 1836 by the printing-house of Yisrael ben Avraham Back.Ashkenazi is also the author of Nachalah u-Menuchah, a collection of responsa mentioned in the work above. An account of his rabbinate of Jerusalem is given in Mendel ben Aaron's Kore ha-'Ittim (Vilna, 1840). | Thick paper, dark and of high quality. Moth marks. Stains. New binding. Stamps. Light repair to cover. | 86 pages. 34cm. Generally good condition.
Make an offer