Signature of Rabbi Eleizer Papo, the Peleh Yoetz: the book is Darchei Noam, with the pamphlet Milhemet Mitzvah, first edition—Vencie 1697, with additional important signatures and notes
Darchei Noam by Rabbi Mordechai HaLevi, Av Beit Din of Egypt, questions and answers on the four sections of the Shulchan Aruch, practical halacha, with an introduction by the author and an additional introduction by his son, Rabbi Avraham HaLevi. On the back of the cover is an engraved illustration of the Temple. First edition. At the end is a pamphlet, A War of Mitzvah (Milhemet Mitzvah) [separate cover], by the son of the author, Rabbi Avraham HaLevi, on counting the eight days of milah. Printed during the author’s lifetime, first edition, Venice 1698. 282, 40 pages. According to the bibliographic listing it is missing one page from the errata table. Old, worn binding, leather spine, large light stains, few tears to some pages without any missing part of the pages, generally good condition. Darchei Noam by Rabbi Mordechai HaLevi, Av Beit Din of Egypt, questions and answers on the four sections of the Shulchan Aruch, practical halacha, with an introduction by the author and an additional introduction by his son, Rabbi Avraham HaLevi. On the back of the cover is an engraved illustration of the Temple. First edition. At the end is a pamphlet, A War of Mitzvah (Milhemet Mitzvah) [separate cover], by the son of the author, Rabbi Avraham HaLevi, on counting the eight days of milah. Printed during the author’s lifetime, first edition, Venice 1698. 282, 40 pages. According to the bibliographic listing it is missing one page from the errata table. Old, worn binding, leather spine, large light stains, few tears to some pages without any missing part of the pages, generally good condition. Extremely important Sefardi signatures and glosses. Cover signature: “Eliezer Papo.” Rabbi Eliezer Papo was the Peleh Yoetz (included with this is a certification from an expert). Above the signature: “Shai Binyamin Pinto.” And on the other side: “Eliyahu HaKohen.” Throughout the book are notes and remarks in a nice Sefardi handwriting, one of which is very long and opens with “Shimon Pesach said” [referencing a rabbi from Bulgaria], and it appears most of the notes are his, all of which is certified by an expert. Rabbi Eliezer Yehezkel Papo of Sarajevo (1785-1828) was born in Sarajevo, Bosnia; his father was Rabbi Yehuda, and Rabbi Eliezer was a rabbi in Sarajevo, and in Silistra, Bulgaria, from 1820. He is known mainly for his work “Peleh Yoetz”, a work accepted and widely beloved. He wrote additional works like Orot Eilim, with conduct according to the Shas, Zohar, and HaHida; Shut Peleh Yoetz, Beit Tefila, and more. Before his death, he said that anyone who prostrates himself at his grave after tevilah and saying tehillim, his prayer with kavanah would lead to redemption and mercy.
A segula item of clothing: the kippah of the Admor Rabbi Mordechai Hager of Viznitz. Monsey
Black, raised velvet kippah in the shape of a hexagon, according to the minhag of the rabbis and Admorim of Romania—this is the kippah worn by the Rebbe, Rabbi Motel’eh [as he was known affectionately by the righteous of Israel], the Admor of Viznitz, who lived in Munsey NY, the kippah with which he labored in Torah, in his enthusiastic prayers in the well-known Viznitz style, or in his teachings where he spent countless nights. An extremely rare and exciting item! Wear and rips in the stitches at the borders (light), generally very good condition. The Admor Rabbi Mordechai Hager of Viznitz (1922-2018) was the son of the Admor Rabbi Haim Meir (the Imrei Haim of Viznitz). He served as Admor in Munsey for 46 years. In his youth he learned under the tutelage of his grandfather, the “Ahavat Yisrael” of Viznitz, and was a student of Rabbi Yoel Teitelbaum of Satmar and Rabbi Yosef Greenwald of Papa. He survived the Shoah and married the daughter of the Admor, Rabbi Yaakov Yosef of Skvira. After her early death, he married her younger sister, moved to the USA with his father-in-law the Admor of Skvira, served as a rabbi for the Viznitz community in Boro Park and Williamsburg, and in 1964 he moved to Munsey where he established his community of followers. He later established additional communities in Israel and around the world. Today, after his death, his sons serve as Admorim around the world.
The Haluka of RabbeinuRavItzikl of Pshevorsk.
The kaftan of the tzaddik of Antwerp, Rabbi Moshe Yitzhak Gewirtzman—Rabbi Itzikl of Pshevorsk. The upper garment used by RabbeinuItzikl during his lifetime, passed down to his son-in-law and successor, Rabbi Yaakov Laizer, Rabbi Yankele, who continued his father-in-law’s ways and gave the holy garment to a groom who was an orphan and lived in Antwerp and moved to Israel to get married: “since I cannot participate in your wedding, take this holy garment with you to wear under your chuppah so that the zechut of the great tzaddik will safeguard you.” The groom was very successful, and later gave it as a gift to his family in Israel after returning to the Diaspora. The kaftan is preserved in very good condition, other than typical wear. Rabbi Moshe Yitzhak Gewirtzman was born on January 3, 1882, in Gorlitz, Galicia, grandson of Rabbi Elimelech of Lizhensk. After his marriage, he moved to the town of Pshevorsk where he served as president, four children were born to him and to a rebbetzin who died in her youth And left him alone to raise their children, and unfortunately Rabbeinu lost his only son, Rabbi Yosef Chaim, and two of his daughters and sons-in-law in the terrible Shoah, when he was exiled with his son-in-law Rabbi Ya'akovLeizer. 1949, Rabbi settled in Paris, the capital of France, where he worked very hard for the local Jews and from there relocated his residence and established it in the city of Antwerp, Belgium where the light spread to all the Jewish world. On the 10th of Tishrei, Yom Kippur 5737 (October 4, 1976), he died and was buried in the Jewish cemetery of Fitta in the Netherlands and was succeeded by his son-in-law Rabbi Ya'akovLeizer - Rabbi Yankele (December 23, 1906 - November 16, 1998), who continued his path with his greatness, charity and kindness, and became famous for his immeasurable charity.
Silver megillah housing, made by hand—Vienna 1821
Delicately handcrafted megillah housing, with hammerwork, enamelling, and welding. Total of 6 pieces that are screwed together to form this wonderful housing the Megillat Esther. At the top is a bouquet of flowers and additional decorations. The body of the housing is characterized by decorations with a classic design of the time. At the bottom is a handle for rolling the megillah. Stamped silver by Lorenz Pfalzer, who was a member of the Jewellers’ Guild of Vienna. With his stamp. This creation is one of the first known items made in Vienna, and is considered especially rare. A similar housing from 1824 forms part of the Bill Gross Family collection, which notes that this design was copied later for additional housings made in the Ottoman Empire because of their unique beauty, which is a testimony to the influence of the Viennese school on other places. Length: 27cm. Diameter: 3.3cm. Weight: 213g. No megillah inside. Generally very good condition.
Rare, 22k gold amulet case. Iraq, 19th century
Case for Amulet. 22k gold. Smooth design with delicate decorations on its sides and soldered rings so that it can be worn on a chain. Contains a long, narrow, rolled amulet with holy names written with ink on parchment. The case is 7 cm. long. Weight without amulet: 27 grams. Amulet is 48 cm. long. Overall very fine condition.
Copy of the Admor Rabbi Yekutiel Yehuda Teitelbaum of Sighet: Vayitzaber Yosef, first edition—Grosvardin 1936
Includes Shut on halacha and practical matters, and various pilpuls on shitot of the Shas and poskim, and notes and explanations, by Rabbi Yosef HaKohen Schwartz of Aradea, (author of the Genizei Yosef, Hadarat Kodesh, and more). With a pamphlet “Naftali Seiva Ratzon, History, Events, and Nice Conversations with the Admor Rav Gaon Naftali HaKohen.” , 148 pages, 296 columns. 8 pages. Binding disconnected partially, a little worn, a few stains, generally good condition. Cover has the note: “Moga S.” handwritten. Number of important stamps of ownership: “Yekutiel Yehuda Teitelbaum Av Beit Din of Sighet.” The Admor Rabbi Yekutiel Yehuda Teitelbaum (1912-1944) was the son of Rabbi Haim Zvi (the Etzei Haim) of Sighet, and son-in-law of his uncle Rabbi Yoel Teitelbaum of Satmar (the VaYoel Moshe). He was the brother of the Admor HaBarech Moshe of Satmar. He was a rabbi and Admor in Sighet, succeeding his father at the age of 14—at his father’s funeral he received a note from the Gaon Rabbi Shaul Brach, Av Beit Din of Karola. His relative Rabbi Yekutiel Yehuda Gross was brought especially from Barbesht to teach him pedagogy and Admorut. He helped refugees greatly during the Shoah. During his lifetime the debates between the chassidei Vizhnitz and Sighet quieted down. He was murdered at Auschwitz in Iyar 1944.
Volume with Shot Rama, Shot Bach, and HavatYa’ir—copy of Rabbi Zeev Nachum Burnstein, father of the AvneiNezer.
Large volume with three books bound together, old binding. 1. Shot Rama—Sadilkov 1835. Some pages are blue, 44 [supposed to be 65] pages. 2. Shot Beit ChadashHaYeshanot, second edition Ostraha 1834. , 69 pages. 3. HavatYair, second edition Sadilkov 1834. No title page. , 47, 49-52; 29-29-52 pages. Defects to binding, lone bits of moth holes. Generally very good condition. Blank page after cover has handwritten note “this belongs to the famous Zeev Nachum Bornstein of Sztzekaczyn, and more.Rabbi Zeev Nachum Bornstein (1820-1885) was rabbi of Biala Podolsk and rabbi of many of the greatest Polish Jewry in the generation. The author of the book Agudat Azov, son of Rabbi AharonSztzekaczyn, one of the Chassidim of the Seer of Lublin, Rabbi Simcha Bunim of Peshischa and Rabbi David Mal'elov, and the disciple of Rabbi Shalom TzviHaCohen of Tsarash, married to the daughter of Rabbi Mordechai Hirsch Erlich lived in Bedzin, where he was born. Rabbi Avraham Bornstein, author of the AvneiNezer, who was appointed Rabbi of Olkusz in 1850. In 1856, he was appointed Rabbi of the city of Biala where he served until his death and was the Chassidus of Rabbi Menachem Mendel of Kotzk, The son-in-law of the KotzkRebbe, began to act under him as Admor, and accepted him as his rabbi. Among his many students include Rabbi Yoav Yehoshua Weingarten of Kintzak - the "Chavat Yoav".
Bone vase with sawing work and carving done by hand, relief of “the Victory of the Hasmoneans.” Stamped
Vase made of bone with relief made with carving work and sawing, showing figures dancing against the background of the Temple, with two figures of Jewish men with weapons, and another of a rabbi holding a Sefer Torah in one hand and something that looks like an oil jug in the other—probably refers to the victory of the Hasmoneans, who found the pure oil jug and put away their weapons. Stamped V. Rapoport. Some light cracks, generally good condition. Diameter: 7.5cm. Height: 19cm.
Pair of huge finials for a Sefer Torah, silver with gemstones and coated in gold. Stamped
Decorated with Stars of David, inlaid with colourful gemstones, small and large (organized pattern), silver stamped 84. Chains in two sets of 8 each, one roof slightly crooked, missing four stones, good general condition. Height: 35cm. Weight: around 2055g.
stamp of Rabbi Yitzhak Blazer of Peterburg: Or Yisrael by Rabbi Yisrael of Salant, first edition. Vilna 1900
The work includes letters and articles “to excite the heart” written by Admor Yisrael Libkin of Salant. Page before the cover has an interesting stamp of ownership of the publisher: “Yitzhak Blazer, Peterburg, Kovna” (see below). 92 pages, 184 columns. Binding disconnected partially, missing the spine, stains, generally good condition. Rabbi Yitzhak Blazer (1837-1907) was a sage of Lithuania. He was the son-in-law of Rabbi Haim Leib Rottenburg-Mishkovsky of Tovisk. His father was rabbi Shlomo Lipals, a sage of Lithuania. He was a student of Rabb iYisrael Salanter in Kovna. In addition he was the manager of the Prushim Kollel under Rabbi Yitzhak Elchanan in 1880, until he left in 1881 following a machloket over mussar. He edited the journal “Tevuna” of the mussar movement. He was a founder of the mussar yeshiva in Slobodka, and he moved to Chlem in place of Rabbi Simcha Zissel Ziv. His method in mussar was to encourage enthusiasm and admiration rather than intellectual exegesis. He authored Or Yisrael, a composition on clarifying the mussar method, and more. He moved to Jerusalem in 1904 and served as head of the Vilna Kollel, and more. His son-in-law was Rabbi Eliyahu Abest of Moscow.
Ceremonial jacket, Kashmir wool fabric, with decorations made from silver thread coated in gold—Isfahan, 19th century
Ceremonial garb, red and purple, with decorations of flowers made from silver thread coated in gold, with wide margins. Two pockets decorated on the upper sides. New lining, light corrections, good condition. 60x70cm
Miniature travel Chanukiyah, especially rare, kept in a handsome walking stick
A miniature metal menorah to light oil wicks, disassembles and re-assembles, including the Shamash and small pillars that open for stable support, hermetically closed and shaped into a cylinder, for storage in a walking stick, which in fact is suitable for travel, engraved with the menorah on Titus’s arch, with a small hook for cleaning the oil wells. The walking stick is made of wood, repainted in dark red, at the top a metal coating with engraving of the letters S H. The curved handle unscrews, revealing a cylindrical cavity into the menorah, with a metal hoop at the bottom. Dimensions: The menorah is approximately 11x3 cm. The height of the stick is 95 cm. Various defects, good general condition.
Silver breastplate for a Sefer Torah, Breslau (Germany) style, end of 19th/beginning of 20th century
Precise, professional hand-produced work with hammering, reliefs, and engravings. At the top is a wonderful decoration of a shell, pillars on the sides, figures of Moses (holding a staff) and Aaron (wearing the Kohanic garb and holding an incense shovel). In the center are Tablets, under which is a window for putting tags and the inscription: “Simchat Torah.” Copy of authentic work done in Breslau. Especially good work. Chain for hanging. Height: 20cm. Width: 17.5cm. Weight: 260g. Light defects, generally very good condition.
Silver Yad for a Sefer Torah—Tunisia, end of the 19th century or beginning of 20th
With silver threads wrapping around, a loop with a chain for hanging. Length without chain: c. 28cm. Weight: 116g. Number of bits of extra welding and defects, missing a few strands. Generally good condition.
יהודי ירושלמי - פסל גבס ישראל המאה ה-20 אמן לא מזוהה
פסל גבס משולב עם אבן מרשים עם דמות של יהודי חבוש כיפה ועטור בזקן. חתום ד.ר. - אמן לא מזוהה (בצלאל) 41X16X17 ס"מ. צ'יפים, שברים וכתמים. מצב כללי טוב. הפסל הגיע מעזבונו של אליעזר שטריך (1879, דווינסק – פברואר 1941, חיפה) פסל ארצישראלי יליד לטביה. בשנת 1914, הוזמן לנהל מחלקה של "עבודות מקשה" ב"בצלאל", לאחר כיבוש הארץ על ידי הבריטים, התגייס ל"גדוד העברי", לאחר שחרורו שב ללמד בבצלאל. בשנת 1923 מונה כמורה לציור בבית הספר הריאלי בחיפה ובטכניון, ושימש בתפקידים אלו כ-16 שנים.
Expensive silver cup for kiddush with enamel paintings of the “process of making wine”, designed by the artist Ezra Landau—Israel, 20th century
Handsome cup for kiddush, modern design made by casting, embossing, enamelling, engraving and sawing. Sterling silver 925, integrated with enamel paintings made by hand, with illustrations showing the process of creating wine during the Second Temple period. Body of the cup highlight pillars which were in the Temple, and the famous Jerusalem stones. The upper portion has the film that was built at the top of the Holy of Holies. Designed by the Judaica artist Ezra Landau. Height: 10cm. Diameter: 6.7cm. Weight: 353g. Very good condition. The artist Ezra Landau was born in 1947 in Oshgoret, Russia. He moved to Israel in 1972. Upon moving to Israel, he began to design unique Judaica items such as: Chanukiyot, goblets and besamim towers, with special and original designs. His works have been very successful, they were purchased by the President's House and brought as gifts to heads of state. His renowned work is the Temple menorah, which is located near the Western Wall in Jerusalem.
Rare Calling Card of the Admor Yisroel of Husiatyn, of the Ruzhin Dynasty
Calling card of the Admor of Husiatyn, from when he lived in Tel Aviv. "Grand Rabbi Israel Fridmann of Husiatyn." With his address, 19 Bialik Street, Tel Aviv. 10x6 cm. Without blemishes, very fine condition. Rabbi Yisroel Friedman of Husiatyn (1858-1949) was a senior Admor of the Ruzhin dynasty. He was named for his grandfather who founded the dynasty, Rabbi Yisroel of Ruzhin. In 1894, he succeeded his father as Admor of Husiatyn, and his father's thousands of chassidim accepted him as their leader. He moved to Eretz Israel at the end of his life and settled in Tel Aviv where he set up his court.
Thick Manuscript for the High Holidays and Jewish Holidays – Central Yemen, 1760
Manuscript Tachlal prayer book with superlinear vocalization for Rosh Hashanah [begins with "ashmoret" – every day of the ashmorot has a different supplication that is not per Yemenite customs], Yom Kippur, Sukkot and Simchat Torah. Additional prayer for fast days, prayer for the sick, text of the berachot, intercalation with charts starting in 1760 and more. Owner signature at the conclusion, from a later period: "A person should always write his name on his books…I, Said ben Dovid Altem…" Recor of purchase in the middle of the book: קנה מוסי (משה) רכבצ בסעור (בא"ת ב"ש) זה התכלאל מן יוסף בן סעיד חבשוש, יום רביעי חודש אדר...ואני גואל אחרון...מתנה בן שלום...קניתי זה החפץ מן יחיא קרוואני...". Script is not uniform. Central Yemen. New binding. 22x15 cm. About 480 pages. Overall fine condition.
Manuscript Shir Hasirim and Kohelet with Targum and Pirkei Avot and Kabalat Shabbat – Yemen, 18th Century
Manuscript of Shir Hashirim with Targum, Kohelet with Targum, Avot, and bakashot and kabbalat Shabbat that are unknown amongst the customs of Yemenite Jewry. [Shir Hashirim and Mishnayot Tractate Shabbat, chapter after chapter, interspersed with other verses.] Script from the Shar'ab region and central Yemen, a number of different scripts. Begins with the second verse of Shir Hashirim. 198 pages. 16x11.5 cm. Binding appropriate for the period that it was written. Stains. Overall fine condition.
Ivory besamim tower, carved, beginning of 20th century
Wonderful carving work, the bottom is round and flat, from which a stylized column rises. At the end of the column is a large hexagon, with decorations made by cutting holes which allow the besamim to be smelled. Above it is a cap to the space, lengthened with a flag on top. 24x8cm. Good condition.
Miniature Sefard Machzor for holidays—Amsterdam 1712
Miniature machzor “for holidays, Yom Tovs of Pesach, Shavuot, Sukkot, according to the Sefardi minhag.” , 178-309 pages. Original leather binding with golden inscriptions, defects at the edges of the binding, slight staining, generally good condition.
Historic Letter Regarding the Polemic of the Yishuv Hayashan Written and Signed by Sir Moshes Montefiore – Ramsgate, England 1870
Fascinating document: Lengthy letter written by Sir Moses Montefiore to his friend Michael Henry, regarding the depressed situation in Palestine and the troubles of the Yishuv Hayashan. The letter was written on 04.07.1870 in Ramsgate England. Royal seal of Montefiore is embossed at the head of the letter. It is written in English, all in the hand of Sir Moses himself and signed by him. 12.5x19.5 cm. The text appears on one side of the fold leaf. Fold marks, no blemishes, very fine condition. The letter explains that Sir Moses is soon leaving and he received a letter from Jerusalem describing the terrible situation there. He asks that Michael should do as he sees fit, without mentioning his name."
Unique Piece: Megilla of the Six Day War in Yemenite Scribal Script on a Scroll
Small paper scroll written in Yemenite scribal print. Opens with "What happened during the Six Day War, " with text that is a spinoff of the Megillat Esther. At one point, the story is even told with rhymes. Wonderful, original work that tells the tale of an important episode in our history. A regular paper is attached to the end of the megilla with a touching prayer for the fallen soldiers, signed in blue ink:המחבר מר חיים בן...[?]. 9X107 cm. A few sections, sewed together.
Rare! Manuscript of a Large Siddur with Rare Text Versions and Halachot – Yemen, early 17th century.
Especially large, impressive manuscript of a prayer book for Rosh Hashanah and the High Holidays. Unknown writer. A large section has superlinear vocalization. The manuscript includes selichot that do not appear in other "Tachlal" prayer books, primarily of Rabbi Yehuda Halevi and Rabbi Yitzchak Ibn Ghiyyat , Seder Havodah of Rabbi Avraham Ibn Ezra and the Seder Havoda of Rabbi Shlomo ibn Gabriol (of 4 that are known), piyutim and selichot with laws of tefilin. The text of "Shofet Kol Ha'aretz" with acrostic of the name "Shlomo" in an unknown version. "Keter Malchut" of Rabbi Shlomo Ibn Gabriol appears without the kabalistic passage of Mori Yechya Aldhari (added by the Maharitz in a later period). At the end of the selichot there is a commentary from an unknown writer that we have not found in other comparable works known to us. The nosach "Marnut" according to what is today used in "Nusach Shami." Chiddushei HaRav [unknown reference] with laws and novellae [ perhaps referring to Mori Yitzthak Vana] quotes the commentary in the name of Rabbeinu Yonah and other laws of berachos for after Kippur and then berachot for spices the moon, wayfarer's prayer, circumcision and mitzvos, hymns for a circumcision and related ideas. The calculation of the intercalation was made later, than the rest of the written work. The name שלמה בן שלם ידיע בן אלקרעה appears in one location [does not appear in the Encyclopedia of Yemenite Sages]. Collection of rebuke and supplication. Text of the Birkat Kohanim according to the Ramban. Kaddish Batra in the original Baladi version. Starts on leaf 130. More than 300 pages. 32x21 cm. Many worming holes. Overall moderate condition.
Rare! Book Given as a Gift by the Rebbe to a Prominent Chassid in the United States: Sefer HaSichot Kayitz - First Edition, New York, 1947
Sefer HaSichot Kayitz, "from the Admor Yosef Yitzchak shlit"a Schneersohn of Lubavitch, published by the staff of "Otzar HaChassidim…" First edition of this work published by Rebbe Menachem Mendel, son-in-law of the Rayatz, with an interesting preface that he wrote for this work, published by Kehat, New York . Interestingly, this copy has a stamp "printed in Germany." It was apparently printed together with other Chabad works that were published at the time at the presses of the war refugees. Detached with tears at the sides. Binding is slightly detached, light stains and blemishes. Overall fine condition. Gifts of this book by the Rebbe were rare, since it was one of the first ones that he published. The flyleaf bears a handwritten notation: זה הספר שלח לי אדמו"ר שליט"א למתנה מאיר מייזליש. Rabbi Meir Meisles was a prominent Chabad chassid in the United States. (He signed on the letter from 1953 asking the Rebbe to come to the United states [refer to: Mibeit Haginazim] and is mentioned in the Iggrot Kodesh of the Rebbe in a number of places). He published the Shirat Moshe on the 613 mitzvos in Jerusalem 1907 – the work of his noted grandfather Rabbi Moshe Meisels, a prominent chassid of the Admor Hazaken and leader of the Vilna community. He was one of the first settlers and leaders of the Kollel Chabad in Hebron, where he settled in 1923, after traveling to Eretz Israel per the instructions of the Mitteler Rebbe. The Meisels family was a senior Chabad family in the Holy Land [refer to: Beit Rebbe, p. 145-146; Iggrot Kodesh letters 32 and 48].
Likutei Ramal (Sassov) – Chassidut. First Edition. Czernowitz, 1856.
Likutei Ramal. Torah thoughts and hanhagot by Admor Moshe Yehudah Leib of Sassov. Copied from his personal manuscript. First edition, Czernowitz 1856. Concludes with a copy of a letter that he wrote after Shabbos on the 12th of Marcheshvan 1796 "to kohanim, levi'im and yisraelim, " with touching counsel regarding the path to peace and humility. Originally 18 leaves, this copy features 20 leaves. (Stefansky, Chassidut 293). Without binding, some small pages – as printed originally. Owner signature לה"ו אהרון הכהן. Various stains, some worming holes, otherwise overall fine condition.
Sefer Torah written in Sefardi handwriting on gvil parchment—North Africa, 18th century
Nice handwriting by a professional sofer, uniform writing throughout, except for 2 pieces of parchment from Metzorah, different handwriting perhaps older. Written in ink on red gvil parchment (thick, soft leather of a beast, using all parts of the leather, with inscription on the outside part, which causes the brown-red color). There are erasures and corrections made over the years. Not sold as kosher. Etzei Hayim made by hand with engraving and decorations made with pewter corresponding to the period, with corrections made in the last few years. Moroccan jacket and a belt from a much later period. Height of parchment: 56cm. Height of writing: 45cm. 46 lines per column. Height including etzei hayim: 116cm. Various defects, generally good condition.
פסל ברונזה על שיש טיגריס משחר לטרף חתום ע"י האמן
פסל ברונזה מרשים בדמות טיגריס מהלך על גבי סלע ומשחר לטרף, עם פה פתוח החושף ניבים אימתניים, עבודה מדוייקת ומרשימה, המבליטה את עצמותיו ואברי גופו של הפנתר בדיוק מרבי, מצע שיש בצבע ארגמן, חתום MERCULIANO. מידות אורך ורוחב 31X13 גובה 18 ס"מ. משקל 6 ק"ג.
Unique and historic: A Shadrut letter signed by the Maharit Elgazi and rabbis from his beit din
Letter authorizing someone to act as Shadar [Shlucha d’Rabbanan, as practiced in the Land of Israel of that time; the custom was to send a representative to Jews in the Diaspora to collect money for the poor of Israel], written in uniform, nice Sefardi handwriting, appointing Rabbis Refael Yosef Haim Benvenisti and Yehuda Uziel as shadars to collection money to ransom prisoners. Signed by rabbis from the Jerusalem Beit Din of the Maharit Elgazi with nice Sefardi signatures, from right to left on the page in this order: Rabbi Yom Tov Elgazi (the Maharit), Rabbi Refael Yosef ben Rubi, Rabbi Mordechai Yosef Meyuchas, Rabbi Hayyim Mordechai Sornaga, Rabbi Yitzhak Kubo, Rabbi Yisrael Yaakov Burla. Additional signature which is partially hidden. Tape blocks some of the text and signature. There is a stain along the left-hand side. Size 25x24cm. Given in a new binding with various stains.
Wonderful museum-worthy item: large, handsome etrog case made of ivory, carving work with illustrations of the mitzvot of Sukkot. Beginning of the 20th century
Beautiful etrog case made of ivory. Carving, made with extreme precision, with illustrations of the mitzvot of Sukkot on the four sides. On one side Jews are dancing with the Sefer Torah during Hakafot of Simchat Torah, on top bearing the verse: “Sisu v’Simchu etc.”. Another side shows Jews with the Four Species circling the bimah of the Synagogue, with the verse “uLekachtem Lachem etc.”. On a third side is a family building the Sukkah. The fourth side has a family during kiddush of Sukkot night, accompanied by matching verses. The case’s top has illustrations of grapevines and branches. It is a rare and unique item. 18x12.5x12.5(LxWxH)cm. Very good condition.
Wonderful museum-worthy item: a large, handsome tzedakah box for a cemetery: Europe, 19th century; inscription: “Matan b’Seter Yichape Af”
Especially large tzedakah box, which was placed at the entrance to a cemetery, made of metal, shaped by hand, with an interesting and rare design. Wooden board covered with a metal frame, in the center of which a large hand (lifesize) is upraised with the tzedakah box below it. The slit for putting in coins is made on the back of the hand, in order to suit the inscription behind it: “A gift in secret pacifieth anger.” The inscription is written by hand on a white metal board framed and placed in the wood behind the hand. On the back is a large loop for hanging. Board is 60x35cm, the box is 21.5x17x15.5cm. The hand’s height (without the box) is 46cm. Wooden board on the back was professionally restored. Light defects, generally good condition.
Large Impressive Painting, Oil on Canvas. "Tiberias" by Artist M. Marossy. 19th Century
Large, impressive painting. Oil on canvas. The painting depicts the Kinneret shoreline surrounded by the ancient mountains of Tiberias. Jews praying at the graves of the righteous people can be seen at the bottom. 110x74.5 cm. Signed and captioned by M. Marossy. 19th century. Tears and blemishes. Overall fine condition.
Rare, exciting painting made with enamelling, of Rabbeinu the Chafetz Haim. Russia, 1980s
Portrait of Rabbi Meir HaKohen of Radin, the Chafetz Haim and author of the Mishnah Berurah as well, professionally done with enamelling of copper, rare. Colorful enamelling—A colored material formed from the melting of glass powder on a substrate layer, such as metal, glass, ceramics, or stone, by baking - most often at a temperature of 750 to 850 °C. Stamped “O. Eichinger”, the artist Otto Eichinger (1922-2004), who drew the portrait, plus two more signatures probably by the artist of the enamelling. Generally very good condition. 6.5x9.5cm.
Amulet with the Ilan HaKodesh—paper roll, from the 1840s, in a silver case
Printed on paper—8 pieces of paper connected to one another. Divided into three main sections: foundations of kabbalistic wisdom; kabbalistic charts and illustrations; and the Ilan HaKodesh—a list of the evolution of the world over time by Rabbi Meir Paprash, one of the Gurei HaAri. Apart from the great theoretical knowledge that the megillah contains, it explains visually the foundations of kabbalah, and is designed for learning the wisdom of kabbalah, as the Admor Rabbi Yeshaya Moshkat of Prague (son-in-law of Rabbi Yitzhak of Radowil and a student of the Maggid of Kozhnitz, friend of the Chiddushei HaRim) writes in his endorsement for the printing of the Ilan. The Ilan HaKodesh is a segulah for preservation from all harm, and for raising sons. The megillah is given in a fancy metal case colored in silver and gold, decorated with illustrations of plants, with a town in the center, engraved “Mr. and Mrs. Menahem”. Length: around 3.5m. Width: around 21cm. Professionally repaired at the top, with slight damage to text. Generally good condition.
Silver bowl, a present from those praying at the “Machzikei HaDat” synagogue in Antwerp for the Golden Wedding Anniversary of the first Gabbay, Rabbi Shlomo Aharon Dirdack. 1926
Decorated silver bowl with the inscription in the center: “an offering from those praying at the “Machzikei HaDat” synagogue in Antwerp, to celebrate the Golden anniversary of the first gabbay, Rabbi Shlomo Aharon Dirdack, and his wife Mara Neche Feigel, may they live long lives, 1876-1926.” Rabbi Shlomo Aharon Dirdack was one of the most prominent members of the community in the pre-World War II years, and he passed away two months after receiving this gift. Stamped silver “800”, and an additional stamp somewhat erased. Weight: 528g. Stains. Generally good condition. 20x30cm
Unique and handsome silver noisemaker. Europe, beginning of the 20th century
Decorated with engraving and relief work. In the center is a relief of Haman leading Mordechai on the horse throughout the city, and on the other side is the inscription “the Jews had joy and happiness.” Stamped with an unknown signature. Handle and top of the crown are made through sawing work, with plants and flowers at the bottom of the handle, and small bells hanging. Very noisy. Height of the handle: 22cm. Box for noise: 8x6x1cm. Weight: 216g. Generally very good condition.
Complete Talmud. Personal Copy of the "Mekor Baruch" of Seret-Vishnitz with Glosses in his Hand
Complete Babylonian Talmud printed in Munich Heidelberg, 1949. Title page partially in red ink. Two volumes are smaller than the others, from a Jerusalem print 1957, with tractates Shabbat, Eiruvin, and Rosh Hashanah. Some bindings are detached. 18 volumes. Other than solitary blemishes – preserved in fine condition. Each volume bears an owner stamp on the flyleaf: ברוך בהה"צ מוהר"י זצללה"ה מויז'ניצא חיפה, רח' ביל"ו 16." A few volumes also bear his holy signature: ברוך הגר חיפה רמת ויז'ניץ. A few locations in the volumes are decorated with his marginal glosses which testify to the known fact that the Rebbe was fabulously learned and knowledgeable in all of the Talmud and poskim. At times, he mentions other sources and references, sometimes even words of that commentator in a different place. Rabbi Baruch Hager of Seret-Visnitz (1895-1964) was the son of the "Ahavat Yisroel" of Vishnitz. He was a member of the Moetzet Gedolei HaTorah and was known by the title of his book, the "Mekor Baruch" on the Torah. He was a colossal Torah scholar and received rabbinical semicha from the leading sages of the time: Rabbi Meir Arik and Rabbi Avraham Menachem Mendel Steinberg. He married the daughter of Rabbi Yissocher Dov Rokeiach – the Mahari"d of Belz and served as rabbi in Poylen and Kotzman. In 1936, he became the first rabbi of Seret in Bucovina, where he established the Yeshiva Beit Yisroel V'Tamchin D'Orayta." He headed his yeshiva until the Jews were expelled during the Holocaust, when he then stood at the helm of the community in Transnistria and Dschuryn, helping the refugees and then the survivors. After the war, he stayed in Antwerp and refused all requests to serve in the rabbinate there, saying that he preferred to move to Eretz Israel. In 1947, he realized his dream and settled in Haifa. A man of vision, he stated that he wished to trigger the flowering of the spiritual desolation there. A few years later, he established the "Ramat Vishntiz" neighborhood on the slopes of the Carmel Mountain. He was a passionate speaker at Agudat Yisroel conventions. He authored a number of works including a comprehensive work on the Shulchan Aruch Choshen Mishpat, but they were unfortunately lost during the turbulent years. He was buried in the mausoleum of Vishnitz Admors, next to his father, the "Ahavat Yisroel."
Sign for the selling of aliyot to the Torah and mitzvot in the synagogue—Hungary, beginning of 20th century
Brass sign with a wooden handle, for selling mitzvot and aliyot in a synagogue. Made of hand-shaped brass with welding work, piecing together, rivets, hammering, and enamelling. Decorations, plants, lions holding the Tablets. In the center is a colourful inscription of the aliyot and numbers (prices), made with a rolled piece of paper. Dedication on the back, to the synagogue, by David Wolf Grosvardin. Size of the board: 21x15x7cm. Size of the box: 28x22x13cm. Various defects. Pages are not rolled and probably torn inside. Does not open to allow for checking. Generally good condition.
Discovery: About a Thousand Manuscript Pages, the Lost Section of the Work on the Rambam by Rabbi Yehuda Heilbronn
A great treasure was found inside an old wooden box, the manuscript of Rabbi Yehuda Heilbronn ztz"l, with an additional unknown section of his work on the Rambam. About 1000 (!) pages of crowded writing, Torah thoughts on the Rambam that were never printed. These leaves rested in the box in an unorganized fashion and were carefully sorted and organized according to topics and sub-categories as the Rambam organized them in his work. Rabbi Yehuda Heilbronn's work on the Rambam has already appeared at auction twice in recent years and so his light has began to shine after so many years of concealment. However, the primary section was lost, since the place where they were kept was rebuilt and the remains of his library were removed, and unfortunately, most was thrown out. A few months ago, an old wooden box was found with many manuscript leaves. After the aforementioned sorting and examination, this treasure was revealed, including his preface to his great work in which he writes with great humility, "and I pray that they should not rely on me for any ruling, because my heart is breaking and my spirit depressed and someone in pain can err…" The leaves include an elucidation on the many laws and an additional collection of leaves titled "Mehadura Tanina." As far as our study can tell, these novellae were never printed! (Refer to: Kedem Sale 10, June 2010, item 501; Refaeli, Sale 7, March 2019, item 174). About 1000 leaves, most with text on both their sides, within plastic covers arranged by topic. Varying conditions. Varying blemishes. Most in fine condition. Rabbi Yehuda Heilbronn (c. 1870-1958) was an unknown genius who lived in Haifa, since immigrating through Cyprus in 1931. Not much is known about him, only that his previous manuscripts that were sold were adorned with the approbation of the Rabbi of Haifa, Rabbi Baruch Marcus, for his work on the Rambam from 1932. In his later years, he spent much time in the Yachel Yisroel Yeshiva of Seret Vishnitz in Haifa and many have memories of him spending long hours over Torah study while standing up, though he was already an old man. As far as we known, he is buried in Shomrei Shabbos Zichron Meir cemetery in Bnei Brak.
14 carat gold pendant with a Star of David and the Tablets—Europe, beginning of 20th century. Stamped
Gold pendant made with by hand with cutting work, the figures of lions holding the Tablets, with a Star of David resting on top and the inscription “Zion” inside it. Pentagram frame with rounded sides. Stamped by an unknown artist. Sold with a matching box. Weight: 2g. Diameter: 2cm. Light defects, generally good condition